Thursday, October 17, 2013

Fun Home

I eat 'memoir's' up. I enjoy them as much as reading fiction, maybe even more some times. So I was extra excited to read a memoir in graphic novel form. As well as reading it from a female writer and a female protagonist point of view. I love graphic novels, don't get me wrong, but sometimes as a huge reader, I get thrown off by the straight-to-the-point mumbo jumbo dialogue sometimes used in graphic novel form, so I was in so much bliss that the way Bechdel wrote was with so much beautiful prose. I always love to read about families, because even though usually they are heart-wrenching stories, they always sort of make you feel extremely connected to something. At least if you have come from a broken home, or a dysfunctional family of sorts, which a lot of people do.

Another reason why I loved this was because of the perfect balance between humor and emotional ranges. I feel like the best stories, the best tones, are to have a really organic, but hilarious situation or moment come right after a completely devastating emotional moment. And that is what she did. It was structured rather interestingly that I think could have been disfigured, but because it was so precise in detail and character development, it worked perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment